Saturday, May 26, 2012

AMAZING White Bean Chili


I am sitting here at 11:49 PM eating. Yes eating. I've told you about my obsession with food, so I think its time I blog about it a little more. 
My dinner was SO delicious that I had to have another bowl. Yes, I am, in a way tooting my own horn. But really I am tooting Paula Deans horn. hehe. 
I have to give you the recipe and then the little changes I made. It is soo good that papa asked for leftovers.(they are in a jar in the fridge pops:) In case you don't know he is my chef of a father. So that is a compliment:)
Here it is straight from the food network. Ill put my variations in parentheses after each part I changed.(cause I love me some parentheses. And because I can.)

Ingredients

  • 1 pound dried navy beans ( I used 2 cans of white beans and 1 can white kidney beans.)
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped green chiles (fresh or canned) (i used 2-4 oz. cans)
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper(I used 1)
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped

Directions

Rinse beans well, cover with cool water, and soak for 2 hours. Drain. Put the beans in large pot with the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. (You get to skip this 2 hours if you use the canned beans like I did. Which made step one for me just mixing the broth and beans over med. heat while I prepared the rest).
In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and chiles and saute for 5 minutes. Add chile mixture to pot with beans. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Serve with cornbread, if desired.
(I sliced corn tortillas, put them on a baking sheet, sprayed with evoo and baked at 350 for 15 minutes. Yummy, crunchy dippers!!!)
**note: This was about a 'medium' (salsa speaking) in spiciness. So if you wanted less, just omit the crushed red pepper and maybe add less black and white pepper too)



Oh, my it is delish!!! We love chili around here, so thought we'd try it with a new twist. You are going to want to try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS