Monday, October 29, 2012

15 minute chicken tortilla soup

On this rainy blustery day, with a hurricane about to hit the East Coast( Bless you all) I thought it was the perfect day to post this yummy soup we've been enjoying over here at the Lytton home. I got a recipe from Real Simple, but switched it up a little for my liking. The great part is its so fast! Most fast recipes these days include lots of preservatives and chemicals which I'm not all about. So this ones fast and can be a "real" unprocessed meal!

Ingredients:
12 oz jar of salsa verde (this is the secret ingredient. It eliminates the simmer time because the flavors are already melded together.)I use the world table brand. It's sooo yummy! You can get mild, medium or hot to determine the heat of yours.
3 cups cooked chicken (I like to use rotisserie to be quick, but you can use ANY kind of chicken)
1 15 oz can white canelelli beans, drained
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin(optional)
1 can of corn
1 can green Chili's
1 can of tomatoes

Empty the salsa into a large pot, cook 2 minutes over medium heat, then add the rest of the ingredients. Let simmer for 10 minutes and youre done!!

I top mine with tortilla chips, sour cream and cheese. You could also do green onions, olives, whatever you like!

What I love about this recipe is you can add and take away anything that you love or have in your cupboard. I added the green Chili's, corn and tomatoes to the original recipe because I wanted it to go farther and now I make it that way every time! I've also started adding more chicken and a can of black beans. You could also add kidney beans:)

You can add or take away broth to make it soupier or thicker. It's quick, pretty healthy and so versitle!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS