Friday, December 2, 2011

Traditions

I'm really big on traditions. My husband used to think it was silly how into it I was, but I can tell that he enjoys it now too.  I remember when I was little we had these little advent calenders for the month of December. You opened a little cardboard door and got a chocolate each day. Yummy:)
I've been wanting to make the girls their own advent calender for awhile now. Of course I waited to actually do it until December 1. We are on a tight budget at the moment, so my goal was to make it with only things I already had at home. It ended up taking me 4 hours, but I think its just lovely for what I had to work with.

I did half with little envelopes and the other half with cards.
Yesterday was an envelope and each of the girls got a little chocolate Santa in it.
Today was a card that I wrote :

"Today you need to make at least 3 people smile or laugh. Making others happy will make you happy too. (Some ideas are to tell them a joke, tickle them or give them a compliment.) "

We had a little talk about their task for the day and they thought it was so fun. Macie was planning out who and how she was going to do it today.
Tomorrow says

"Share at dinner time tonight two things you are thankful for."

There are some with fun Christmas movies they have to watch that day.Hopefully I can find them on that day:)
On Christmas eve (#24:) we will all read the Christmas story out of the Bible.

I am trying really hard to make sure the girls remember the real meaning of Christmas and don't get lost in the 'gift' part of it. They seem to think its a fun thing to do every morning...and of course they love the countdown to THE day:)
Next year I'd like to sew one to use every year.....Good thing I have 12 months to work on that:)
Another tradition Ive started is getting the girls jammies each year to wear Christmas eve night. Its the one present they get to open on that night. Who doesn't want to be in new cozy gear Christmas morning?!?!
What Christmas traditions does your family have?

1 comment:

  1. Love your advent calendar idea...I too enjoy traditions, especially ones to help us focus on family and the real meaning of Christmas!

    This calendar would be great for my grand kids...mmmm....

    One of our family favorite traditions is home made waffles & orange julis drink Christmas morning. It's fun to see the kids expect it even as they get older and are growing into young adults!

    Happy holidays...hugs...Sherri

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS